St. Mark AME Church:
Who We Are
In the 1880’s three families came to this community: The Williams, Routt’s, and Pages. Having no place to worship, they were given permission to use one room of an old vacant farm house where they had weekly prayer and class meetings. Later, they were joined by the Mayberry’s and Lawson’s. The Rev. R. Scott became their pastor and with the help from Presiding Elder G. W. Swan, the group decided to organize and build a church. The land was donated by Wilda Routt and the leading carpenter was John Lawson. Thus St. Mark A.M.E. Church was established. Other families came to the community and at least forty-three (43) pastors passed through.
In 1972, Rev. Turnkett was sent to St. Mark and was the pastor for twelve years. Under his leadership a new building was built in 1978 with Terry Lawson as the lead carpenter. It was at this time the front of the building was changed from Routt Point Rd. to Spell Road. All members contributed to the building of St. Mark.
The Pastors since Rev. Turknettt were: Rev. Fleming in 1985, Rev. Evelyn Byars Johnson in 1993-1999 and 2001-2002. Rev. Dr. Ida Baker in 1999, Rev. A. Hawkins in 2003, Rev. Patricia Smith 2005-2015. Rev. Anthony Felder is the current pastor of St. Mark A.M.E. Church.